Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My First Post. This is so exciting!

Let me bore you by talking about myself. Becoming a teacher was not my first choice in life, I needed to do something else first. For ten years, I worked in television news and documentaries in Atlanta, Boston, and New York City. One day, I woke up and decided that I was no longer satisfied and did not receive enough immediate gratification from the television industry in terms of feedback and helping others. My husband and I discussed my career change and decided I would make a great teacher. There was one small problem, I needed a degree in education. I applied to the New York City Teaching Fellows Program in January 2004 and was accepted. As a member of Cohort 8, I began my training at Mercy College in the Bronx, NY. They paid for my degree. Wahoo!! There, I was assigned to work in Region 2 of the New York City school system. I worked for two years at a middle school in the Bronx called M.S. 135 Frank D. Whalen. My entrance into teaching was not how I remembered school in my small little town where I grew up in South Carolina. Lots of things had changed. Boy, was I in for a bumpy ride over the next two years!!! Survival of those two years was a necessity because I am not a quitter. There, I learned much from my troubled students and I would not take back a moment of my time with those kids in the Bronx. Life is a journey and that experience was certainly part of mine. Once I had my masters degree in hand, my husband and I packed up and moved to the suburbs where we could afford to own a house and raise children. It saddened me to leave the city and those students but I have to live my own life as well. This is where my blog begins. These are my observations about the differences in education in an urban setting and a suburban setting. Oh, it doesn't stop there. My musings and tips will also be posted. I love nothing more in this world than to help out others who also may be struggling in a similar situation--i.e. an out of control school in the heart of a city with little resources and hardly any support for that raggedly tired new teacher. I feel your pain.

Question of the Day: What turned you on to teaching?

No comments: